Registration Service - Copy Certificates
For births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships that occurred in Sunderland you can obtain copies of certificates as follows:
- If the certificate required is from a recently registered event, please telephone Sunderland Registration Service for advice using the contact details on this page
- Writing to Sunderland Registration Service with as much detail as possible about the names and the event that will allow us to identify the register entry.
- Please enclose the appropriate fee (see below) and a stamped self-addressed envelope. Address your envelope to Sunderland Registration Service, Civic Centre, Burdon Road, Sunderland SR2 7DN. Cheques or postal orders should be made payable to 'Superintendent Registrar'.
- You can now order your copy certificates online during which you can search the Registrars Indexes to identify the appropriate entry
- The standard service for copy certificates may take up to 5 working days.
Standard Copy Certificate - Fees
|Full birth certificate||£10.00|
|Short birth certificate||£10.00|
|Civil partnership certificate||£10.00|
Fast Track Copy Certificate Service
Should you urgently require a copy certificate, this can be arranged by selecting our Fast Track copy certificate service.
- Fast-track orders submitted and PAID in full before 12pm will be guaranteed first class posting on the same day OR can be collected from the Registrars between 4pm and 5pm Monday to Thursday and 4pm to 4:30pm Friday.
- Fast-track requests received after 12pm and PAID in full will be guaranteed first class posting on the next working day OR can be collected from the Registrars between 4pm and 5pm Monday to Thursday and 4pm to 4:30pm Friday.
- Please note the Fast Track copy certificate service is only available when making an application online or by telephone.
Fast Track Copy Certificate - Fees
|Full birth certificate||£21.00|
|Short birth certificate||£21.00|
|Civil partnership certificate||£21.00|
The Local Studies Centre in the City Library and Arts Centre, Fawcett Street holds a microfiche copy of the General Register Office Index of births, deaths and marriages for England and Wales (also known as St Catherine's House or GRO Index) from 1837 to 1983.
Newcastle City Library provides free public access to a complete set of GRO indexes in microfiche format. As well as birth, death and marriage indexes for the whole of England and Wales, indexes for recent events, the adopted children register, civil partnerships and events registered overseas are included.