Domestic homicide review
- The Safer Sunderland Partnership has published the findings of a domestic homicide review into the death of a 79-year-old woman killed by her husband, who went on to take his own life.
Pier restoration begins
- Scheduled work to resurface Roker Pier for the first time in its 111 year history started on Monday 23 June.
Your Chance to Take Part in a National Commemoration
- Sunderland's First World War Centenary Steering Group would like to invite anyone who's interested in setting up or being part of a First World War commemorative activity to a Networking Event at Sunderland Museum and Winter Gardens, Burdon Road, Sunderland, SR1 1PP, on Monday 19 May 2014 between 1.00pm and 3.00pm.
Looking forward to blue skies
- Once again the Sunderland International Airshow is attracting some of the best aerobatic pilots in the world. The event now includes two days of flying displays featuring (among others) Gerald Cooper - Extreme Air, The Blades, The Breitling team of Wingwalkers and the Twister Duo.
Keeping up the momentum with Momenta
- If you have ever tried to lose weight and failed or ever gone on a diet, lost weight and then put it all back on again then the Momenta healthy lifestyle programme from Sunderland City Council could be the solution for you.
Funding boost for a more active Sunderland
- Active Sunderland is set to help more local people get into sport thanks to almost £200,000 of National Lottery funding from Sport England's Community Sport Activation Fund
Walking through history
- The Sunderland BIG Walk on Sunday 22 September, offers a wonderful way to be active with your family and friends whilst taking in some of the best scenery and historic sites the city has to offer. Posted - 19/7/2013
Airshow fun for those with their feet on the ground
- There's plenty going on for everyone to enjoy a whole weekend at Sunderland International Airshow. Along with a top class flight programme there will be fairgrounds, inflatables, flight simulators and even Mario and Optimus Prime at Recreation Park. Posted - 16/7/2013
St Mary's Way realignment update
- City centre road users are being asked to plan their journeys for the next few weeks as work progresses well on realigning St Mary's Way. Posted - 12/7/2013
The Short Tucano display team not short on talent
- Appearing with a desert camouflage design, mirroring World War II Spitfires that 72 Squadron operated in 1943, the Tucano T1 aircraft returns to the Sunderland International Airshow looking better than ever. Posted - 11/7/2013
Pods touch down in Roker
- Three pods, which played a major role in helping Sunderland win a million pounds to invest in seafront regeneration, have arrived in the city.
American independence, celebrating fifty years of 'the dream'
- It is fifty years since Martin Luther King announced his 'dream of a nation of all people'. This year, once again American Independence Day will be celebrated in style at Washington Old Hall on Thursday 4 July (11-12 noon). Posted - 3/7/2013
Grayson Perry's iconic tapestries tour launches in Sunderland
- The large tapestries, created by Grayson Perry for the BAFTA award-winning Channel 4 series 'All in the Best Possible Taste with Grayson Perry', are now on display in Sunderland Museum & Winter Gardens, the first stop of the Arts Council Collection's national tour of the work. Posted - 28/6/2013
Take the road to safety
- A road safety poster designed by a primary school pupil is helping to provide a focal point for Child Safety Week (23-29 June). Posted - 26/6/2013
- Young families can find out more about healthier lifestyles at a free family fun event, hosted by Sunderland Children's Centres, at the Raich Carter Centre on Tuesday 2 July (10am-2pm). Posted - 26/6/2013
Making music in Mowbray - part two
- A musical celebration of the city's culture and young talent will bring the annual Making Music in Mowbray programme to a close on Friday. Posted - 26/6/2013
Last orders for Restaurant Wednesdays
- Discounted food and drink is still on the menu until the end of June as part of Sunderland Live's 'Summer in the City' free programme of live music and entertainment. Posted - 24/6/2013